Our spectacular Cured Sumac grows wild around Gaziantep, Turkey, where instead of being dried, it’s chopped and packed in salt to preserve it. It has a bright, sour, salty and slightly fermented flavour, and is one of Burlap and Barrel's most popular spices among professional chefs and home cooks alike.
Cured Sumac is a classic Middle Eastern finishing spice. Swap it for lemon juice in any recipe or use it to add character and brightness to salads, fish, meat or dips. It also makes a perfect topping for anything from hummus to salad to roasted veggies or meat to scrambled eggs.
- Origin: Gaziantep, Turkey
- Process: Chopped, then packed in salt and cured. Organic
- Ingredients: Sumac berries (Rhus coriaria), salt (salt content is 1% by weight, or about 0.5 grams per jar)
- Tasting notes: Sour Cherry • Salt & Vinegar • Sunny Acidity
Specifications: 65g glass jar
- Add this to salad dressings, dips (especially hummus), eggs, marinades, curries, stews and hearty soups
- Pairs well with: Black Urfa Chili, Smoked Pimenton Paprika
First time to use this spice. It is amazing! It has a very unique flavour.
Just put some Cured Sumac and olive oil on my salad. No other thing needed. The sour and salty flavour is extremely good!
I also add some on salmon steak, it is surprisingly good.